Monday, November 3, 2008

I can't help it!

I can't stop myself from comparing Alex and Carter...they are complete opposites! Not in a bad way, but I guess I never expected them to be completely different. I had all these visions and thoughts in my head about how much Carter was going to be like Alex, and how I wouldn't be able to tell them apart....and it just hasn't come out that way at all! I am just amazed ;)

The biggest thing is their size...




(yes, same outfit...Old Navy 6-12 month sleeper)




Next is temperment, Carter is quick to smile and giggle, but we really had to work hard to get giggles out of Alex. He was a happy baby, just didn't like to show it all the time. Alex would let me 'schedule' him...not strict or anything, but I could feed him any time of the day and he'd take it no matter if it had been 20 minutes since he last nursed (which makes it much easier to go places), and Carter will have none of it. He'll eat when he's ready, his schedule during the day is all over the place, and there is nothing I can do about it!

Then we have motor skills. Carter will only roll from back to belly (which he is really getting good at BTW), but that's it! No belly to back, getting up off the belly, sitting. By the time Alex was 5 1/2 months old he was rolling around to get places, on all fours attempting to crawl, and sitting unsupported.

I am not saying one is better than the other at all, because I love them both for what they bring into my life, I love them just the way they are, and I wouldn't ever change a thing about them...but am I horrible for comparing, or is this just a normal thing that mothers do? Please don't tell me I am the only one!

5 comments:

Angie said...

You are not the only one. I find myself still comparing all of my kids, and they're older. It's not a bad thing as long as you don't tell them "your brother did it this way". My kids are the same as your's...totally different, and there's 4 of them! I thought I would have a couple of them that were the same. It's fun though, to have a change.

Your boys are so cute BTW. I hope that you guys make it back up to this part of the country sometime.

Lauren said...

Your not the only one thats for sure! I find myself doing it all the time! Austins like the orange baby foods. Dylan likes the greens and meats. Dylan is sitting up and rolling. Austin didnt start till 7 to 8 months old. Austin had teeth at 5 months, Dylan shows no signs of teeth. Dylan is a happy baby all the time with huge smiles all the time. Austin was happy but u had to work on the smiles! So just shows u how much i compare my kids too lol.

Becky Sparks said...

Definately not the only one! I do it all the time!!! :) It's inevitable I think. You just have to cherish the differences. :) See you in a bit.

Michelle Smiles said...

Mine aren't biologically related but I've still been amazed by how different they are. Sabrina was so joyful (and still is). Tessa is much more sweet and serious - and much faster to complain. So yes, even though they don't share biology I compare!

Jenni McCadams said...

Hey Katie--I love your pictures! I'm still comparing my three boys, and I'm still amazed every day at how different they are. It certainly keeps you on your toes (and your knees) as a parent.